Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Negative Nether-world....


In six weeks I will be moving to Fort Myers, FL to be closer to my husband’s family.
I should be thrilled, excited and brimming with enthusiasm, but I’m not. Now, this
move is a great idea, it’s been  years in the making. We feel like our son should
grow up being surrounded by family and we need to settle down somewhere for
good.

Happiness is alluding me because my son has slipped into some kind of “negative
nether-world” where nothing is going right for him, he thinks he ruins everything,
his teachers expect too much and he is under too much pressure. Did I mention
before that he is 10? My ability to over analyze to the nth degree is prohibiting me
from seeing this for what it is, a phase in his life. Did I mention though that I have
a tendency to be the same way? My expectations for perfection in my own life
often leave me in a negative stupor when my ability does not live up to the
performance I expected.

It wasn’t supposed to be like this. He was supposed to grow up and take after his
dad who is confident, tenacious and loves a challenge. I feel like I have done him
a grave disservice and I don’t want him to be like me. I don’t have an answer
for this, I just want my son to grow up happy and content.

I better lead by example. (This is just a phase, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment