Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pot Luck Paranoia

One question I know I will never be asked in casual conversation at a party is "Did you bring that delicious _________________ (insert typical pot luck fare here: dip/spread/pastry/what-have-you)?" 
This will not happen.  How do I know?  I am struck by Pot Luck Paranoia.  Oh, it's out there sister and trust me more people are afflicted by it than you know. 

During any type of gathering where people bring food there is always that one mystery dish that no one is really taking a chance on dipping their chip into or piling it on their plates.  Perhaps one daring soul has tried the mystery dish and behind a not-so-subtle backhand they tell their friend to "definitely avoid the mystery dish."  Confession:  I made the mystery dish.  I skulk around the table making conversation and subtly scooping out half of the mystery dish onto my plate so it looks like SOMEONE at this party has tried my concoction.  I normally chase this down with a good riesling (might I suggest "Relax Riesling" in the lovely navy blue bottle.)  I try not to feel like the kid on the playground that no one will play with, I mean it's just food after all.  I really want to be a part of the cool group of kids who can cook.  Everyone is "ooohing and ahhhing" over the great food and my dish looks like it's in solitary.

Back to the recipe book and stock up on another navy blue bottle.  I've got one week to the next pot luck.  If you know how to make me look like one of the cool kids at the food table, feel free to share.  There's only so much paranoia I can take people!

5 comments:

  1. Haha! Funny girl! Since you didn't ask for advice, naturally, I'll give you some: I recommend finding a recipe online that has good ratings. Even if it 'fails', you can make up for it in presentation. You can pretty it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha....does cut up cheese and crackers count? What if I throw in a few grapes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a total winner.

    1 tub - premade ranch dip (or, 16 oz sour cream & packet of dry ranch mix)
    2ish TBSP - bacos
    aboooooooout 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

    Mix together and let sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Serve with crackers or chips or veggies. IT IS GUARANTEED TO BE A HIT AND SO EASY!

    The bonus? You really can't mess up on quantities. I've never measured before. Like more bacon flavor? Add more bacos. Like more cheese? Add more. Just remember, you can always add, but you can't take away. Start small. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You my dear are a rockstar! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the one who has the dish everyone likes. :) I'll bring the food, you bring the wine. Deal?

    ReplyDelete