Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sometimes life isn't fair....

My son lost out on an excellent job opportunity yesterday.  He was up against some tough competition, but I could tell he really wanted this job.  Ok, so he is only 9 years old and the job interview was a mock situation in his mini-society experiment at school, but he was devastated nonetheless.  I felt so bad for him.  I wanted to call his teacher and ask her why she would pass up this perfect child for a teacher’s aide position.  But I didn’t.  That would have been the worst thing I could have done.  As much as I want to wrap this child up in bubble wrap and protect him from the not-so-good things in this life I would be doing him a grave disservice. 
I wish I could explain to him how we often have to go through bad things to get to the good things, because to be honest with you, I’m 40 years old and I STILL don’t understand why.  When you are right smack in the middle of disappointment or failure it hurts and no looking forward to the “good things” is going to make it feel better right then.  All I can do is teach him to handle himself with grace and dignity.  I need to try and teach him to turn the other cheek when someone is mean and try to get him to understand the place of hurt the other person is lashing out from. 
I know you will all agree that it is tough being a parent…I’m just glad I didn’t have to interview for this job.  Knowing what I know now I would have been devastated if I didn't get this job too!

No comments:

Post a Comment